Sunday, 1 February 2015

My First University Bake

Hi everyone!

I have a bake that I would like to share with you that is a little bit special.

MY FIRST BAKE AT UNIVERSITY!

It was the first time I had baked at University and plucked up the courage to bake outside the comfort of my own oven and kitchen.

(That will have to become more regular as we moved house before Christmas, hence the reason I have been absent from my blogging for a while!)

I am starting the new year with ambitions and resolutions! The first being that I intend to get back into blogging properly!

I plan to make my blog a weekly post of something I have baked or cooked at University.

(Baking is a little less frequent now I am living in University Accommodation so I am combining it with cooking in general.)

I understand that cooking on a student budget can be a bit difficult so I am going to show you ways that I make my food last longer and go further towards meals!

I also want to show you ways that I am improving my diet and uploading low fat and low calorie recipes, as well as my new found love of smoothies and the recipes I have discovered.

Right, down to business...

I had an urge to bake one day and my flatmate suggested (Correction: pleaded) that I make some brownies and so I found a recipe, headed to the shops and got on with baking!



For this recipe you will need:
  • 175g Cadbury Bournville Chocolate
  • 40g Cadbury Bournville Cocoa
  • 175g unsalted butter
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 75g plain flour
  • 50g chopped chocolate chunks/nuts/fruit (whatever you fancy, really!)

Method:

Step 1:





Preheat the oven to 180⁰C, gas mark 4.

Then grease and line the base and sides of a square of rectangular tin with baking parchment.




Adaptation 1: I had to use a roasting tray, as I had no brownie tin. This meant that I had to double the mixture which only made for more brownie so I'm not grumbling!

Adaptation 2: I had to grease the baking tin but leave out the baking paper, as I didn't have any... I bought some the next day (don't worry mum!)

Step 2:




Melt the chocolate and butter slowly in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Allow to cool slightly.


Adaptation 3: I used the microwave, because firstly I am too impatient for the hob method and secondly, because that's the way that I always do it and I'm not going to change that now!





Tip: Please do this with caution, I only do it because I've had a lot of practice, for more control use the hob method but if you're using the microwave check and stir it every 30 seconds, and then every 10 after the third time of stirring it (after 90 seconds in total)!


Step 3:

Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.


Step 4:

Pour the egg mixture over the chocolate mixture and fold in slowly with a spatula.


Step 5:


Sift in the flour and cocoa and fold in the chunks of your choice. And then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.




Tip: Make sure that the mixture goes right into the corners and tap the tin a few times to release any air bubbles!


Step 6:

Bake the mixture in the tin for 25-30 minutes. The top should be crusty with a slight wobble underneath,

Adaptation 4: Due to my mixture being double the amount of the recipe, it needed double the amount of time to cook. So mine took 50-60 minutes. (I still checked it every 20-30 minutes to keep an eye on it, I get a bit paranoid now after a few burnt bakes).

If you are unsure whether it is cooked enough, just put a knife into the centre and it should be sticky but not a batter consistency.


Step 7:

Cool completely while it is still in the tin (it can be put in the fridge overnight which aids cutting, but I am not patient enough to wait overnight for brownies I'm afraid!)


Step 8:

When they are completely cooled. Tip the brownie slab out of the tin and cut into pieces.

I cut mine into 20 fingers as I think they looked nice and that way you get quite a hefty brownie, but if you want smaller ones cut them in half again and that's...

FORTY BROWNIES!


Tip: Use a serrated edge knife (bread knife) to cut the brownies more easily!



I enjoyed making these brownies and the smell that filled the flat was amazing!

My flatmate was more than happy with the result and made me the...

 'Official Apartment Six Baker'

It turns out that the whole flat liked my brownies as I was leaving them to cool properly in the kitchen and when I came back to them there were only 11 left! I was not a happy girl when I discovered that we had a brownie thief in the flat.

To this day the mystery of...

'The Brownie Thief'

has not been solved so I have been slightly reluctant to bake again but after seeing all of these photos again and remembering how good they smelled and tasted I think I may be tempted again very soon!

I must add, that this is most definitely not one of the healthy recipes that I referred to at the beginning of my post!

I hope everyone tries these because they truly are the best brownies ever! This is such a simple recipe and anyone can do it!

If you do please let me know in the comments section!

Feedback is always appreciated! Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Well Done Brogie....nice to see your still baking and not messing up my kitchen into the bargain...Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I always cleaned up :) it's when I use glitter that gets tricky! Xxx

      Delete
  2. I love brownies and this looks delicious! I am not surprised that there was a brownie thief - I'd definitely be a brownie thief if I was in the vicinity of your brownie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am very protective of my baking now! My room looks onto the kitchen so I keep an eye out! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on christening your uni oven! It's always a bit scary using an unfamiliar cooker. Brownies are a great way to start. My uni halls flatmates used to love when I baked rock cakes and I made a lot of friends when I made chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily our oven is quite good :) it's just the keeping it clean so that my baking doesn't get ruined! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope uni is going good! I am not surprised there was a thief where those brownies are concerned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. University is great thank you. I plan to start a post on the books that I have read on my course, in a way to keep my blog going but also as a personal boost in making a record of my books xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments...