Monday, 28 April 2014

Rocky Road

Good evening everyone!

I thought it was about time I created a new post! I haven't been baking an awful lot recently as I am nearing the end of my third year at college and therefore I am up to my neck in coursework, deadlines and exam preparation.

I took the time out the other day to make something that I have to say is one of my favourite snacks (even though it's got a few million calories per portion!) Ooopsy!

Rocky Road

I made this a few years ago and it was a bit of a disaster as mum and I went a bit overboard with the golden syrup and it went a bit too sticky.


For this recipe for Rocky Road you will need:


  • 125g Soft Butter
  • 300g Cadbury's Bournville Dark Chocolate
  • 2 or 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
  • 200g Rich Tea biscuits
  • 100g Mini Marshmallows
  • Icing sugar (for dusting if you wish)




Step 1:

Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and then bash them with a rolling pin. You are aiming to achieve both crumbs and chunks of biscuit for texture.


Step 2:

Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy based saucepan. Scoop out about 125ml/½ cup of this melted mixture to and put to one side for the topping of the Rocky Road.


Step 3:

Fold the biscuit crumbs and pieces into the melted mixture in the saucepan, and then add the marshmallows.


Step 4:

Tip into a tray that should be lined with tin foil, or better yet, buy a disposable foil tray (to save on the washing up). Flatten the mixture as best you can with a spatula, making sure that you get right into all of the corners and fill all the spaces.


Step 5:

Once you have filled the foil tray, pour the reserved melted mixture over the top and smooth over for an even finish!

It is best to refrigerate this for at least two hours before serving, but overnight is the best option!

Then cut into equal fingers, of any size. I tend to make them smaller as they are very rich and you do not need much of it to satisfy even the sweetest tooth. Dust with icing sugar if you wish.

This is the end result!


It may look a little bit of a mess but it tastes good so who cares?!

There are many different versions of Rocky Road recipes, but this is my favourite as it combines my favourite biscuits and uses my trusted Bournville Dark Chocolate! I never bake without it!

I promise that I will be trying to post more often but until exams are over with I'm afraid there will be waits between recipes!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I must admit these turned out far better than the first time round....Love these Brogan but oh so loaded with the old calories. xxx Mum x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please. Pretty much any sort of chocolate fridge cake does it for me. Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog and good luck with those exams.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...