Thursday, 6 February 2014

Chocolate Chip Brownie Cake

Good evening everyone.

I've got a new recipe to share with you today, it wasn't the most successful bake I have ever done but it certainly tasted good!

I felt a sudden urge to bake the other day and I decided that instead of making cakes like I always do, I would bake brownie cakes. My boyfriend has been pestering me for a while to bake him some brownies, so I finally gave in, although he was trying to eat them before they had even come out of the oven!


For this recipe, you will need:

  • 150g/5½oz dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
  • 225g/8oz butter, softened plus extra for greasing
  • 225g/8oz self raising flour
  • 125g/4½oz caster sugar
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 100g/3½oz white chocolate, chopped into chunks
Step 1:

Preheat your oven to 180˚C (160˚ for a fan oven) Gas Mark 4. Grease a square baking tin and line with baking paper.





Step 2:

Place the dark chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water.

I use Cadbury's Bournville dark chocolate because it's not as sharp as the ones containing 70% cocoa solids. I have a very sweet tooth and this chocolate just hits the spot when it comes to my baking.




Step 3:

Sift the flour into a separate bowl and stir in the caster sugar.










Step 4:

Stir in the beaten eggs into the chocolate mixture, then pour the mixture into the flour and sugar and beat well. 






Stir in the white chocolate chunks, then pour the mixture into the tin, using a palette knife to spread it evenly.

Milky bar is the best for this!







Step 5:

Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until firm to the touch around the edges.

You remember me saying at the start of my post that this wasn't a complete success, well this is where the whole slip up came in.


I don't own a brownie baking tin, so I had to use my silicon sandwich cake mould. You see, the original recipe was brownies, but I created brownie cake! It ended up more like a cake than brownies, so I modified the recipe and created a new one!


Leave them to cool in the mould/tin for about 20 minutes, and then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool properly. Finish them off by dusting them over with icing sugar.



As they turned out to be more of a cake than a brownie I decided to cut them into brownie pieces and call them Brownie Cakes. My boyfriend didn't seem to mind, as he was trying to cut into it before I had even turned it out of the mould!

I didn't dust mine with icing sugar because they were lovely and soft on the top and I didn't want to ruin them and the icing sugar would have just disappeared. Once they were properly cold they tasted lovely. Putting them in the fridge was the best idea.

I will definitely make these again as they went down well with everyone at home and they seemed to enjoy them, even though they didn't quite go to plan.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. These Brownies were perfect Brogan...just loved them, If this is the result of the mess in my kitchen.....then bake on!. Love Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...