Wednesday, 15 January 2014

O' Christmas Tree

Good evening everyone!

I appreciate that my blog has been very quiet for the past few weeks. College is keeping me on my toes at the moment. Up to my ears in coursework and University Applications but I promise that I am going to be getting back on track with blogging.

Anyway, time for a cake I think!

This is a cake that I made for a friend's centrepiece for their Christmas Dinner table last year. I didn't make a Christmas cake this year but I thought I would share this one as I don't want to be waiting until next year to share it with you. She wanted it to look like a Christmas Tree, so I got to work and came up with this.


I baked a chocolate cake and doubled the mixture so that there was enough to fill the Giant Cupcake mould. She decided that she wanted chocolate fingers around the bottom which I thought was perfect as they would act as the trunk of the tree.


Whilst the cake was baking in the oven I began making the icing decorations for the tree. I made red baubles, simply by rolling red fondant icing into balls of different sizes. I also made a bright yellow star for the top of the cake. This was a little more tricky as I didn't have a star cutter at the time so I had to improvise and use a star-fish and mould the legs into points!



I was very pleased with the candy canes. I began by making thin, small sausage-like shapes out of red and white fondant icing. I had to use a tiny bit of water to make them stick but you pretty much just twist them together. 

Then when the colours are twisted together and stick together well roll them slightly and press down to keep the colours combined. 

After you have done this just bend the top over to form the candy cane. The beauty of using fondant icing is it wont set straight away so you have time to correct any mistakes.




I added the edible gold stars to create the look of tinsel. and added the candy snowflakes around the bottom of the cake to give it a more Christmas-y touch!

I made the butter cream and added vanilla extract with a slight tint of green food colouring... I always use powder or gel as liquid food colouring makes the butter cream curdle or runny.


I make my butter cream using 70% icing sugar to 30% butter, I find this is the best result for achieving better peaks and a stiffer icing to create better defined shapes.

I have a lot of birthday's coming up so I will definitely be more active on my blog in the up and coming months.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. A fabulous cake Brogan and those candy canes turned out brilliantly. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so clever, I bet your friend was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...