Thursday, 21 November 2013

Happy Birthday Mum!

Good morning everyone!

It's my mum's birthday today so I am going to share the birthday cake that I made for her.

Mum is the one who got me into blogging, she has been blogging for a few years now and it inspired me to create a blog too!

This is mum's blog - 

I decided to make a cake that was inspired by her blog design! I was going to be ambitious and try to make a Fairy Bluebell to sit on the top of the cake but that was a bit ahead of me at the moment I think!

Here is the cake that I made, she likes vanilla sponge cake best so I made a vanilla sponge and topped with a smooth chocolate butter cream.


While the cake was in the oven I began making ribbon roses out of fondant icing in blues and purples to match the design of mums blog.

I also made pink butterflies and some green leaves. The pink butterflies are on the banner of mums blog so I thought they broke the colours up pretty well.

 I created the recipe for the chocolate butter cream myself, it was a process of 'trial and error'. I made loads of different ones and then finally came up with one myself that I am relatively happy with.

You will need:
  • 250g (around 9oz) of soft butter
  • 280g (around 10oz) of icing sugar
  • 55g (around 2oz) of cocoa powder



I start by weighing out the soft butter (room temperature preferably) and then gradually add around the icing sugar. After that is mixed into a smooth cream I add the cocoa powder.

Beat this all together, it's always better with an electric mixer as making anything with icing sugar and cocoa powder is a very messy job.


Tip: The secret of my butter cream is to add a dash of milk when after the cocoa powder. But any more than a dash will make the butter cream too runny and you won't be able to pipe with it.

I decorated the icing shapes with edible glitter. I used a sea-green blue for the flowers, a rose pink for the butterflies and a meadow green for the leaves.


I then set all of the icing shapes on the cake so that they were to the side of the cake and look like they were falling over the side, as though the flowers were growing over the edge of the cake.

Finally I dusted the cake with edible pink glitter to give a sparkly finish!

Thanks for stopping by!

Don't forget to vote on my cake survey if you haven't already!

6 comments:

  1. Mum should tell me birthday date tut tut but I now have it cake looks delish
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word - I suddenly feel very hungry! Your cake looks totally delicious and the decoration is a true work of art. Love how you have taken your inspiration from your Mum's blog design. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.
    Sylvia x
    PS: I have voted for my fave.cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My! This is GOrgeous!
    What a delight..LOve your design and such pretty colours..
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a lovely surprise Brogan.....so pretty and tasted fabulous. A perfect bake....Mary would be proud!!!! Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! what a fantastic cake, love how you have taken inspiration from your mums blog design, the colours and details are so pretty...bet your mum loved it and looks very yummy too.
    I have voted for my favourite cake too.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww this cake looks so delish bet it was enjoyed by all..think my fav cake is COFFEE & WALNUT..mmmm.. I love messing on with cake making my biggest accomplishment was my daughters 3 tier wedding cake..boy was I nervous.. lol she didnt want anything to fancy & all was went well..good luck with your cake making..xx


    smiles Christine x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...