Saturday, 19 October 2013

Pumpkin Madness

Hi everyone!

As you all know it's nearly Halloween again and I am going to share last year's cake and pumpkin with you as I started my blog less than a year ago and I am planning something different this year!

I love carving pumpkins and I used to do the very basic Jack'O'Lantern's that are associated with Halloween. However, a few years ago someone close to me introduced me to a website where I could carve characters from my favourite films. And I have never looked back!



The first one I tried was Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean.

This was my first attempt and I was pretty proud of it!

I love this character and I was so surprised at the way it turned out.

It was a little fiddly as this was done on a smaller pumpkin and for such a detailed design you need a much bigger pumpkin than the one I used for this.

The trick is to go round the stencil with a pin and then cut it out afterwards.



Tip: It's a lot easier to trim down the stencil and attach it to your pumpkin with drawing pins.

Last year I made a couple of pumpkins, although one of them isn't strictly real.

I made this cake as an experiment to see if I could bake a cake in a glass bowl.

It happened to be Halloween the next day so I decorated the plain vanilla sponge cake with hand coloured orange icing (securing with some warm jam.)

I made piping for the effect of a real pumpkin and added green leaves (cut roughly to make it look real.) I completed this cake by piping a chocolate stalk.

I somehow get the impression that Cinderella's Pumpkin Carriage was in my head at this point.


Tip: Make sure you are careful with the juice that comes out of the pumpkin when you are making the holes with a pin. The paper can get very wet and break. Just pull it away, but being careful not to tear the parts of the image you haven't yet marked out.

I also carved a pumpkin last year of one of my favourite Halloween characters, though I watch this film all year round. It's The Corpse Bride from the fantastic Tim Burton.





I can't even begin to say how proud I was of this pumpkin! I'm going to struggle to top this one I think.

This was done on a much larger pumpkin, so I was able to put a lot more of the detail into it!

I love this character and the film and I think this is what made it all the more satisfactory!



I love seeing people's faces when they pass the window and see my pumpkins. Maybe I will do two this year!

Thanks for stopping by!

More Halloween treats soon!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous idea for a Halloween cake Brogan and I love these pumpkins.....although their fiddly to make, they do cause a bit of a stir on Halloween and we also manage to make a decent pumpkin soup from the flesh. Mum xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...